Thursday, May 7, 2009

Jonathan Papelbon: Not a constitutional expert

A horde of notebook- and camera-toting reporters descended on Jonathan Papelbon as he wandered into the Red Sox clubhouse. They clustered all around the couches in the middle of the locker room -- Manny Delcarmen, Justin Masterson and Ramon Ramirez all had been sitting around and watching TV, but they fled the scene just to avoid getting trampled.

Papelbon stood in front of his locker and rubbed his chin, surveying the scene for a second, before he spoke.

"I'm going to go ahead and tell you guys right now: I ain't saying (expletive)," he announced. "If you all want to ask me about Manny, I ain't going to say nothing. I wish I could, but I can't."

"Taking the Fifth, huh?" one reporter asked.

"Yep," he said. "I'm going to uphold my First Amendment right."

Almost, Pap. Almost.

After a pause, Papelbon then said, just as loudly, "But, anyway, we're playing the Cleveland Indians today..."

"Manny played for the Indians once," a reporter cut in.

"I think he did," Papelbon said.

Another pause. Cameras still rolling.

"Yeah, so I've got stretching in a little while," Papelbon said. "That's about it."

Papelbon -- as outgoing a player as the Red Sox have -- then did offer his thoughts. But you'll be able to find those thoughts plenty of other places. We at OneIfByLand are just here to set the scene.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe he meant he was going to uphold his first amendment right to free speech by choosing not to exercise free speech...Just saying.

Harry K. said...

Wow...

floydiansea said...

Yeah, the fifth is more about not incriminating himself ... not quite the same deal there. Too many people use "plead the fifth" incorrectly.

I'm with dbhammel on this.